Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

A brave new world, or How I stopped worrying and learned to love the Blog

OK, time to get something off my chest: I am not a fireman. I am a fire fighter. A wildland fire fighter. There is a differance:
Firemen (or structure monkeys/ ladder dorks as we refer to them) save cats from trees.

We spend our days cutting burning trees down, thinning forests, hauling slash.

They polish the chrome on thier engines and ride in parades.

We wash the truck when it gets slow; nothing like a clean rig to insure a fire call at the end of some rutted, muddy dirt road.

They run into a burning building when everyone else is running out.

We run into a burning 100,000 acre forest fire when everyone else is running out.

They arrive on a fire scene, pull a few hundred feet of hose and dump thousands of gallons of water on it until it goes out.

We arrive at the end of a dusty dirt road, pull on our fire packs, grab chainsaws, gas cans, hose packs, hand tools, and 5 gallon bladder bags and hike into our fires.

Not that I don't appreciate what they do, everyone in emergency services knows they do alot more medical response than fire, and are good at it. And if my house ever catches fire, I wouldn't turn 'em away. But I am a fire fighter, and I am proud of the differance.

This tirade was brought on by a certain lady friend who was telling how she described me to her friend. I did not fly off the handle at her, as she was nibbling my ear at the time, but the distinction has been gnawing at me since.

For those who have been following the saga (as if you could really call it that), I went out with Renee again last weekend. We had dinner, went dancing, saw a movie, generally had a good time. So why have I been so hmm, how do you say, disquieted by the whole state of affairs?

Looking at it from this perscpective (by that I mean staring at a computer screen) it occurs to me one reason: she is the first girl since Mel the Shorter I have had more that 1 or two dates with. But more than that, it may be because we have had a good time together and I fear that if we continue on this road we may end up develping feelings for one another. The kicker is that while we have a good time, I see no real chance of an actual relationship with this girl, thereby neccesitating a painful breakup at some point.

Sheesh, this was the sort of stuff I used to critisise Mel for, being to analytical, thinking to much. Now look at me. Who knew this whole dating thing was so difficult? And I still live in the woods for crying out loud! What the hell is going to happen when I move back into civilizaton in 2 weeks I shudder to think.

Sorry about the spelling mistakes, my first post on Blogger and I can't figure out the damn spell checker.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nibbling on you ear? hmmmm...
And there is NOTHING wrong with being analytical, thank you.

Mel the Shorther

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home