Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Demolition Derby

I went to the county fair this weekend, or more specifically I went to the demolition derby. Two days of cars smashing into each other tournament style, last one running wins. It was a helluva good time, and the grand finale was followed by an exhibition of derby ball, the first ever such event held anywhere, ever. Two blind guys (not blind folded but actually blind) were led to two cars in the field and guided by sighted spotters in communication with radio headsets in trying to run a giant metal soccer ball between the goal posts, consisting of wrecked cars. But it wasn’t just two blind guys playing derby ball, they had to do it in the midst of other cars also playing the soccer/demolition derby. It was an idea that I am certain sounded great on a napkin in a bar, but in reality it was less than spectacular. But as the announcer said, I can tell my grand kids some day that I was there at the first ever derby ball event.

I also went to check out the livestock at the fair, and yesterday morning went to the 4-H Junior Livestock Auction with the intention of perhaps buying a critter and taking it home for a Labor Day BBQ that afternoon. Maybe a goat or a lamb or a pig. Even a goose or some rabbits. But this was no ordinary livestock auction, it was more a charity sale for the 4-H kids, and animals sold for outrageous prices. For example, three rabbits sold for $95 each and a 30 pound goose sold for $340. Swine, beef, lamb, and goats all went for unbelievable prices, so I came home empty handed. But the bbq must go on, so I pulled a three foot long pork tenderloin out of the freeze that I had been saving for a special occasion and cooked that bad boy up: toasting the end of summer.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh the county fair.... a good American tradition.... and two days at the demo durby.... ya might be a red neck.........

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why I miss Flagstaff-

Reason #64: The Demolition Derby.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Guillermo said...

Fear not, Sibbitt, we shall find other rabbit and goose soon, I am sure.

I donated to Hurah. That Google service is good stuff. Sorry about the delay; I haven't been quite on the ball lately.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home