Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ice People

We are easily identified, the pasty white Americans who smell flowers and roll in the grass and perhaps smell faintly still of diesl fuel. Over a thousand of us transit through Christchurch every feburary over a 3 week period, and we almost overwhelm the town. Walking through the square or between popular resturants or bars, every other minute I see another group of Ice people. It is kinda nice, in an inbred, sociopathic way: as we attempt to transition from the ordered and modulated life of the station to the wider world and re-enter polite society, we can be here without having to actually talk to normal people, since Ice people are always at hand. But after a few days the itch to move along comes on; I've only been here 36 hours and I feel the gravity of the open road calling. But for now I can enjoy the social protection afforded by friends and cohorts known for so long in close quarters. But now I can enjoy them at a distance and at my leisure, a far more pleasant prospect than the enforced confinment of only 2 days ago.

Now if you will excuse me, I have an urgent need to sit in a meadow of flowers at the botanical garden.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

travelers don't know where they're going.

tourists don't know where they've been.

-- shade --

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home