Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Homecoming

Of the many times I have left Flagstaff over the last 7 years, often for many months at a time, this has been perhaps the best homecoming I have ever had. No ripping huge party or parade or people greeting me at the door. Actually the house was empty, as I more or less snuck back into town no telling anyone of my exact arrival time. But it was a myriad of other things, both large and small. My favorite local bluegrass band was playing at the Wine Loft. Old friends, co-workers, and the random familiar faces that make up the landscape of Flagstaff were around, and they remembered my name! Spring time in my mountain town, and bbqs and people coming out of hibernation. The house was rebuilt (mostly) after the fire last year. 15 months I've been out of the house. I have been offered and accepted a job at the university heading the wilderness medicine program. And I'm sort of seeing a gal that I met almost a year ago, and suprise of suprises we managed to stay in touch.

So life is good. People keep asking how Antarctica was, and so I relate the good times and funny stories, but the hard parts and problems are buried under 2 months of leisure travel in the south pacific. I had a great time and can't really concieve of never going back to the Ice again, but I think I'll try and give stability a try for awhile, stability being a relative term of course.

4 Comments:

Blogger Guillermo said...

Wilderness medicine? Does that involve chewing up various roots and spitting them onto wounds?

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, more like fashioning a femur traction splint from a ski pole and boot laces. Dressing a sucking chest wound and tension pnemothorax with a ziplock bag and duct tape. Recognizing the differance between anaphlaxis and asthma and doing something about it.

In short, improvise; adapt; and overcome.

But no roots and berries.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Guillermo said...

Oh, there must be some situation in which you can't do any more for the injured person and have to resort to root-spitting to boost morale.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but because of trickey liability laws, all I can do is say "If it were me, I'd do xyz..." and then leave a pile of the appropriate roots/berrries in a pile on a rock while I wander away completely non-liable for any self medication they may undertake.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home