Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Sunday, September 19, 2004

A boat measured in cubits...

And two of every animal. And enough beer to last 40 days and 40 nights. This is what was on my mind this afternoon as the rains kept beating down, a gift from former hurricane Javier. By a funny twist of government engineering, the entire Happy Jack watershed drains directly into our fire shop, so we spent a good portion of the afternoon engaged in makeshift hydro engineering.
And speaking of hurricanes, several folks from our forest got assigned to go help with the reovery and disaster relief efforts on the Gulf Coast. I tried to pimp myself out as an EMT, but apparently we are in high supply. Too bad I'm not a dozer opperator or incident commander.
So we had a lazy day here, a saftey meeting at the cafe involving blueberry pancakes and coffee, cutting a down tree that had fallen across a road, and much time in the shop. Some cleaned chainsaws, I sharpened tools. Most were already in pretty good shape, so I set out to see how sharp I could get my pulaski. For those who don't know, a pulaski is a fire tool with an axe head on one side and a hoe, used for scraping on the other. By the time I was done with it, you could have shaved with it, provided you had small pine trees growing out of your face that you wanted trimmed.
And before I forget, it is not to late to creap out the bartender by ordering "rum me hearty, and step lively. Yarrgh!" Yes, today is national Talk Like a Pirate Day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get back to Flag, make sure to check the messages. I called to wish you a Happy National Talk Like A Pirate Day, but alas you were already gone. So provided that Nick or Elliot haven't erarsed it, you should listen. I know how you love this stupid holiday...

Mel the Shorter

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, who's not updating very often now? Huh?

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home