Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Red or Green?

May or may not be the state motto of New Mexico, but I think it should be. In the south everything comes with grits, whether you order them or not. In Mexico it is rice and beans. In New Mexico it is chili, and no that Tex-Mex, Hormel in a can, beef and tomatoe variety in which the name sake is an after thought. Nope, this is chili that consits primarily and almost soley of chilis. And it is good. And hot.

Made it to Sante Fe to visit Mel-the-Shorter and get out of Flagstaff for a few days. Got the tour of town, saw some museums and art galleries, and got to sit in on some classes at St. John's College. But I wasn't allowed to speak. Not me especially, but anyone who sits in and observes a class. When asked why, part of teh response had to do with me not paying tuition. As if by speaking I might learn something without paying for it. "Hey, you, are you leaving with more knowledge than you came in here with? Give some of that back now!" They were reading the Federalist papers (constitution, declaration of independance, etc) which naturally I have some opinions about, and Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, which I had been reading since September and was excited about when I heard they were reading it to. None the less, it was fun and nice to be in a rigourus academic environment for a little while, something I definatly miss here, even when I am on campus most of the time.

In other news, Mel-the-Taller is back crashing on my couch, my substitute teaching stuff is almost done, I may be in a classroom within a few days, the still has been completed and fermentation of the wash is about to begin, and today is veteran's day, so take a moment to appreciate the day and those it honors.

"You haven't been there until you've eaten the food." - Me

2 Comments:

Blogger Guillermo said...

And chain restaurants don't count. A late night bite at a Waffle house is pretty much a universal experience.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Hmmm, while I agree with you in principal, a late night bite at some random waffle house in Alabama still had a some what regional feel to it.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home