Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Multi-systems trauma and acronym hell

Made it to Leadville, elevation 10,200 feet above sea level. I am here teaching a wilderness medicine class, my first time as a paid instructor, though I have assisted one or two times before. And as ever, the best way to learn something is to teach it. Yesterday, teaching part of the CPR class and then testing the students, it became obvious which parts of the lecture they understood and which they failed to grasp all the way. Don't worry, I have remedied the situation and won't be turning any underqualified WFR's loose on the world, but I can see where I still need to improve my technique. Today I taught bleeding control and oxygen administration and it went much better. Tomorrow I have burns and the next day I have all medical emergencies. I empathize with the students. For 9 days they eat, sleep, and breathe wilderness medicine, learning a whole slew of new words, concepts, and techniques. EMS, ABC's, OPQRTS, AVPU, BSI, WFR, EMT, HR, RR, BP, CSM, LOC, and the acronyms go on and on.

I expect to be back in Flag the evening of the 15th or maybe the 16th.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep sending more news.... we're wondering how the BSI, HR, and burns, etc. are coming....!!??

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home