Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Monday, March 12, 2007

learning experiance

It doesn't look good, the odds of my finding an Australia bound ship, at least any time in the next month. Not so much for lack of trying, more for the prevelence of cyclones of the coast of Australia. Turns out most folks won't be headed in that direction for about another month, at which time I might have fair luck getting passage. Mean time, most yachties are bound for New Caldonia, Fiji, Vanatu, and a host of other Pacific islands. Which would be fine, if in my haste I didn't already have a visa for Australia and a ticket home from Sydney. And mail waiting for me in Adelaide. I could fly to Australia and then get work on a boat in the Whitsundays, an island group off the coast, or I could crew on local racing yachts, or I could work the dive boats off the east coast, or if I had my competent crew cert I could be a janitor on a super yacht that leaves for Dubai in 3 days. You get the idea, lots of opportunities, none that seem to fit the narrow parameters I set for myself. But it has been a learning experiance, walking the docks, talking to yacht brokers, bartenders, and sailors in yacht clubs, coffee shops, bars, marine supply stores, map and chart shops, and while hitch hiking around. And it ain't over yet, just because the odds are long doesn't mean the game is over. I still have a chance if I can find a foreign registered ship sailing in the next few days that will take on another hand. So back to the water front. And even if it doesn't pan out this time around, I am better equipped with knowledge the next time I try and hitch hike 'cross the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home