Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Saturday, November 13, 2004

The time line of a bad idea

1900: I pick her up to go out dancing at the Museum Club; we are having a good time until around...
21:30: She looses interest in dancing, tells me to go ask some other girls to dance, and expresses her desire to play pool with some random dudes from Phoenix. This goes on till about...
23:00: She gets a call from friends downtown and we go to meet them at the Boardwalk. At this point I loose track of her whereabouts for half an hour at a time as she roams the crowded club and I drink vodka and dance with strangers.
0115: I have stopped drinking in order to give her a ride home, when she informs me that she will get a ride with some friend of hers. She apologizes for being a bad date and explains that she just broke up with her boyfriend when she met me, etc etc. I leave the bar, alone and still just a little buzzed, for how else can you explain...
0200: I have my pack loaded into my truck and I am headed north to the Grand Canyon to attempt a rim-to-rim-to-rim hike, about 47 miles with the goal of under 24 hours. I dodge elk, deer, rabbits, and other assorted woodland creaures who happen to graze in the middle of the road at two in the morning.
0330: Arrived at the canyon, sleeping in the back of my truck in the Bright Angle Lodge parking lot.
0600: Wake up with only a slight hangover and begin hiking down the Bright Angle trail.
0930: Made good time to the river and Phantom Ranch, about 2 hours and 45 minutes to cover the 9.5 miles, at this rate could conceviably finish this hike. Unfortunatly I am falling asleep on my feet and have almost 30 miles ahead of me.
0945: Consider discreation the better part of valor and descided to take a nap by the creek instead.
1200: Wake up and hike out, made it to the rim in three and a half hours, for a total of 19 miles in six hours and fifteen minutes of hiking time. I did get to see a family of desert bighorn sheep up close and several deer, as well as a ringtail cat.
17:00: Home, albeit with sore calves that will persist for days. Nonetheless, I go out salsa dancing where I am again shot down. But this time no more half cocked late night hikes.

I still want to do the rim-to-rim-to-rim hike, but next time I will do it with more sleep and less hangover.

Epilogue: I called her up a week later to see if she'd like to go dancing again. She hasn't called me back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Guillermo said...

Time to crack the Indie whip, perhaps?

I'm just kidding. Don't ever listen to anything I say about women. Ever.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home