Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Monday, November 21, 2005

Thanksgiving gumbo

We had a Thanksgiving feed at my place yesterday, a bunch of friends and neighbors over to celebrate, since we will likely scatter to the four winds by thursday. It was alot of fun, and alot of food. We had a turkey and a ham and made sweet potatoes and beans and bread and pie, and everyone who came brought a dish, so we subsequently had a plethora of food, and wide ranging food at that. Such is the nature of a potluck, you might wind up with two apple pies, 4 gallons of mash potatoes, rutabegas and jello-shots. We certainly did, and much more as well. So we drank wine and cranberry punch and rolled around on the floor clutching our bellies and watching football.

I am leaving Charly's in a week to go back to being a substitute school teacher for awhile. Not that there was anything wrong with being a doorman at the bar, it was and still is my favorite bar in town, but I realized I can make the same amount of money as a school teacher and not have to stay up until 3 am every night. So as Gurg might say, I will transition to becoming a day-walker here shortly.

When I told my boss I would be leaving before too long, he nodded and said "yeah, I kinda figured you'd be leaving soon, I knew that when I hired you." Which is true, I told him up front that I move around alot, so he was already looking for my replacment when I told him I was going. When a casual friend asked me how work was and I mentioned I was quiting soon, her immediate question was "where are you going?" And not in that "what are you going to do for work instead" but more in that "what sort of absurd venture are up to now" sort of way.

And the answer has two parts. For the first part, I am planning on leaving around mid-January for somewhere in central america; Haiti, Colombia, or Guatemala being the front runners right now, depending on which options pan out. The sencond part of the answer is that I am a student again! Yep, I enrolled last week and am taking three credit hours in psychology 101. The plan is to get the pre-requisites out of the way over the next few months/years before getting another degree. In what you ask? Well I don't know for certain yet, but nursing or education seem to be front runners. Meantime, I have several online quizes and essays due every other week or so. But it is kinda neat to be a student again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home