Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Home sweet....apartment?

I am home, or at least I am home to Flagstaff, if not actually in my home. As you probably know, my home burned up a few weeks ago while I was in Haiti. Hot coals on the back porch, gust of wind, buring roof, you know, the usual.

So I got back into town from my 6 week excursion to Haiti and promptly set about dealing with insurance, contractors, cleaners, and finding somewhere to live myself. Actually, I had always wanted to live downtown, and now that the insurance company is paying for a little 1 bedroom apartment, I can. walking distance to the library, post office, bank, bars, coffeee shops...jeez, I could get used to that.

So getting back into the swing of things bit by bit. Since most of my clothes were in the house during the fire, since I got back in town I have had only the clothes I took to the carribean, and this just as the biggest winter storm of the year hits Flagstaff and dumps 3 feet of snow.

As far as things lost, most of it is no great concern and really a good opportunity to down size from the massive heaps of junk the house has collected over the past few years. what I do regret loosing is the things that cannot be replaced: the Cuban rum, the Sri Lankan Arrack and tea and spices. Stuff that you just can't go to the walmart to find again.

But it is good to be home, to be able to walk down the street and greet friends at every turn, and in english no less. Some folks, knowing my tendancy to wander, have asked me how long I'll be around for this time or where I am headed next. right now I can't say for certain, or even for maybe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Guillermo said...

To Cuba for more rum!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home