Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Yer in MY UNIVERSE now, punk!

Yep, I am officially a substitute teacher. I had my first day of classes on my own yesterday, 2 periods of sophmore english and 1 of photography. The first english class went great; I taught my lesson, the kids not only stayed awake but even seemed to have learned something, and when class was over, they said thank you and asked if they could trade me for their regular teacher. And Jared's hat size increased several times.
During photo, I did less actual teaching and more signing of passes so they could go to the darkroom or shoot pictures. At one point I looked up and there were like 5 kids left in the room. "Huh" I thought to myself, "I sure hope at least some of them come back."
The during the last english class, the kids came back all wound up from lunch and we did not get through the lesson at all. They pretty much had their way with the rookie sub, and at the end they also said they wanted to trade me for their regular teacher, but I suspect it was for differant reasons that the first class. So Jared's hat size resumed its former dimension.

I also had a class of 2nd graders two days ago, but didn't do much there since there was a student teacher running the show. Good thing too, since I would be pretty much unable to function with twenty 8 year old snot factories careening around the classroom, ricocheting off desks and chalk boards, and generally sliming everything they touch.

Tomorrow I have a high school science class; if all else fails we can discuss the organic chemistry behind fermentationa and distillation or the physics involved with potatoe cannons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home