Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

White Lightning

Yep, the still works.

After a bit of tinkering I finally got the still to yield some high proof moonshine, at about the same time said moonshine began to trickle out of a leak in the plumbing and down towards the burner. My roomate and I look at the rivlet headed for the flame, at each other, and simultaniously reach for stove dial. We are too late and a blueish yellow flame leaps up at the same instant we kill the stove. He leaps back, I leap for my camera. Not every day your homemade still catches fire in the kitchen. Sadly I did not get a shot off, as it burned itself out in only about 20 seconds. After tightening all the joints and a bit more tinkering, one batch through the still yielded about a pint of apple brandy, estimated around 60 proof. I still have some ideas for how to make a stronger product faster, but that will have to wait, I am off to the Dunes for thanksgiving.

2 Comments:

Blogger Guillermo said...

I'm dreaming of an apple brandy Christmas.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God save you Jared. I think at this point He is the only hope you have left. I give up. So when your house burns down from a bad moonshine experence while you are gone causing trouble in Cuba, don't call me. But bring back some cool sovieners, alright?
-Mel the shorter

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home