Nuggets In The Scree

The story of Jared's trip to Haiti and the human rights work there can be found at www.behindthemountain.blogspot.com . The tale of Jared and Mattie in Sri Lanka working in tsunami relief is at www.makingadifferance.blogspot.com . Wildmeridian will continue to feature the same mix of rambling, musing, and muttering it always has.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Penguin!!!

I saw my first penguin last night. I have been leading recreation trips to Cape Evans, about 15 miles from the station over the sea ice, in an effort both to get of station for a few precious hours once in a while, and also in the hope of seeing penguins. I was on my way out last night on just such a trip, when we saw a little Adeladie penguin right outside the station. I mean, so close, you could throw a rock from the waste water treatment plant and hit him. Not that I recomend that, being against the Antarctic Conservation Treaty and all, the NSF looks down on that sort of behavior. But it was funny, to be going all that way out on the ice looking and finding one so close to town, the drunko's in the bar could staggar down to oogle.



The helipad is in the background, and those orange pylons are there because he is on the road to the ice runway. So why did the penguin cross the road? To avoid being run over by the big-ass truck barreling down on him.

3 Comments:

Blogger Guillermo said...

I will give you twenty bucks for that penguin.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Guillermo said...

And I just realized that you are in the perfect position to find out how to go about "acquiring" a seal hat.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To think, I had almost forgot about the seal hat...

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home